Neem in Skincare: Tradition, Hype, and What the Evidence Actually Says

As a dermatologist, I recently saw several patients with chickenpox who had applied neem leaf paste to their rashes. What started as an attempt to soothe itching ended with worsening lesions and secondary bacterial infections. Applying Neem leaf paste has its own problems.



These weren’t isolated cases. Each time I gently asked why they chose neem, the answer was the same: “My mother/relatives did it.”

I understood completely. If I didn’t have medical training, I might have done the same listening to their advice.


Like turmeric, Neem (Azadirachta indica) has deep roots in Indian tradition. Every part of the tree-leaves, bark, seeds-is considered medicinal. I still remember seeing elders in my village using neem twigs as chewsticks in the 90s. When I had chickenpox as a teenager in the 2000s, my mother boiled neem leaves and used the water to reduce the itch. In medical school in the 2010s, I even tried neem facewash. Today, neem is everywhere: in toothpaste, hair oils, baby soaps, and prickly heat powders that cost 200 Rs versus 130 Rs for the regular version.

The cultural trust is real. The commercial exploitation of that trust is also real.

So, what does the science say?

Neem contains over 400 phytochemicals: limonoids and other compounds with potential antibacterial, anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties in lab and animal studies. Some show promise. But here’s the gap that matters to patients:

There are very few high-quality human clinical trials demonstrating clear, consistent benefits for common skin and hair concerns like acne, eczema, dandruff, or prickly heat.

When you crush fresh neem leaves into a paste at home, you’re not using a single purified active ingredient. We’re applying a complex mixture-some of which can be irritating, allergenic, or even depigmenting in certain individuals. That’s exactly what I saw in those chickenpox patients: good intentions leading to complications.

In refined cosmetic extracts, manufacturers often list just “Neem Extract” without specifying concentration or which phytochemicals are present. This makes it difficult for both doctors and consumers to assess safety and efficacy.

My take as a clinician

  • But tradition is not the same as evidence-based recommendation.

  • For acne, pigmentation, or infections, we now have treatments with far better safety and efficacy profiles backed by robust human data.

  • The role of neem in modern dermatology remains limited, close to negligible in evidence-based guidelines.

I’m not against natural ingredients. I’m against the blind “natural = always safe and superior” narrative that delays proper care and sometimes causes harm.

Parents make decisions for their children with love and limited information. Companies market “neem-enriched” products at premium prices, knowing the emotional pull of tradition. As healthcare professionals, our job is to bridge that gap with honesty and balance. I had made a similar slideshow busting myths on the skincare role of Turmeric. See you in another breakdown article.




 (Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my personal opinions intended for public awareness and discussion. They do not constitute medical advice. Readers are encouraged to consult qualified healthcare professionals for individual medical concerns. Read this article Ad FREE on Patreon)

Last updated on:09/07/2026



Content and Figure License Notice
This article incorporates original figures and images created by Dr Subramanian T, MD, released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0) license. You may share and adapt these materials for any purpose (including commercial use) provided you provide proper attribution and license adaptations under the same terms. 

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/

Required Attribution Format for Reuse:

  • Author: Dr Subramanian T, MD

  • Source: 

  • www.drsubramaniant.com

  • Title: [Insert exact article title]

  • URL: [Insert exact article URL]

  • License: CC BY-SA 4.0

Figure List:

dermatologist-neem-paste-skin-warning.jpg 

Content ID: T23


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Syphilis Screening in Immigration Medical Exams: TPHA, VDRL, and the Path to a Visa

FAQs in Silicone Sheet application - Answered

AI vs Doctor Dilemma