Dear Patients, Read This Before Your Next Visit
Is this a rant? Maybe yes. I have been practising dermatology for the last 5 years, and I am writing this article on this seemingly silly topic. I would be genuinely happy if even one patient reads this and comes better prepared to their next consultation.
“Skin problem எவ்ளவோ நல்லாஹ் இருக்கு?” (How long have you been having skin problems?)
This is one of the very first questions any dermatologist asks. It’s not just a casual opener - it’s a foundational question. The same applies to almost any medical problem. Knowing the chronicity (how long it has been there) immediately shapes the differential diagnosis and guides the entire consultation.
Yet, surprisingly, most patients come unprepared for this basic question.
Whether it’s due to anxiety, nervousness, or simply not thinking about it beforehand, the response is often vague:
“கொஞ்சனால இருக்கு” (It has been there for a few days)
“ரொம்ப நாலாஹ் இருக்கு” (It has been there for many days)
Here’s the problem with these answers: What feels like “a few days” to a patient might mean 3 days to one person and 9 days to another. One week might feel like a short time for the doctor, but a very long and worrying period for the patient. These relative terms create confusion and make it difficult to accurately judge whether the problem is truly acute or slowly becoming chronic.
These answers are as good as not answering at all. They don’t help the doctor understand if the issue is acute (days), subacute (weeks), or chronic (months to years).
The ideal answer is to quantify it clearly -“It started about 3 weeks ago,” “It has been there for the last 8 months,” or even “I noticed it 2 days back.”
Even an honest “I don’t know” is perfectly fine. It gives the doctor the green light to proceed while acknowledging that exact duration data is unavailable.
What actually happens more often is this:
“I’ve been having this since I got married…”
“Ever since I moved to Salem…”
How do I know when you got married? Or when you moved to Salem (Seriously!)
As doctors, we are also human. Some days, the OPD is calm, and we have the bandwidth to gently probe and clarify. On busy days or emotionally heavy ones, these vague, tangential answers consume a lot of time and energy - for both the patient and the doctor.
That’s why I’m writing this.
If you’re reading this before your next skin consultation, please prepare yourself mentally. Take a minute to think about your skin problem with these key details in mind:
When exactly did it start? (Try to recall in days, weeks, months, or years)
(I’ve also created a free YouTube video covering the complete list of topics every dermatologist needs data on - feel free to watch it and prepare.)
Respecting your own time and the doctor’s time makes the consultation far more productive. A well-prepared patient helps us arrive at the right diagnosis faster and start the right treatment sooner.
Next time you sit across from your dermatologist, you’ll both thank yourselves for that small preparation.
(Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my personal opinions intended for public awareness and discussion. They do not constitute medical advice. Readers are encouraged to consult qualified healthcare professionals for individual medical concerns. Read this article Ad FREE on Patreon)
Last updated on:18/07/2026
Comments
Post a Comment